Become Part of The Next Generation
Ontario & Trumansburg Telephone Companies (OTTC) is a five generation family owned company where you aren’t just an employee, you are family. We believe our success doesn’t just come from the technology solutions we deliver – it comes from our people. We’re looking the kind of people who believe in thinking outside the box, inspire their coworkers, and are committed to excellence.
Current Positions Available at OTTC
Job Title: Field Technician I at Ontario and Trumansburg Telephone Companies
Department: Outside Plant
Reports to: Outside Plant Manager
Communicates with customers to properly analyze and repair communication lines and equipment; repairs multi-station gain equipment; installs and repairs fiber and DSL service.
- Communicates with customers to properly analyze and repair the customer’s communications lines and/or equipment.
- Researches, prepares, layouts, and performs work needed with new construction. This includes wiring in the central office for transfers, creating detailed records of fieldwork, and turning these records in for plant record updating.
- Installs and repairs data services for customers including outside plant portion of NGDLC equipment; DSL testing, installation, and repair at the customer’s premises; and installs ethernet card in customer’s computer.
- Performs strand mapping and pole audits for plant engineer.
- Fiber to the home installations.
- Locates cables for “NY Dig Safely” requests. Responsible for documenting all records.
- Understands and performs the necessary functions for information retrieval in the MS Access, Excel, GTD5, and all other programs used in the department.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the operation and testing of all custom calling features.
- Ensures that vehicles/equipment are properly maintained. Follows prescribed work and work zone safety policies.
- Other related duties as assigned including assist C.O. group, line crew relief, flagging, routine maintenance, etc.
This position requires a very high level of physicality and the successful candidate must enjoy working outside.
- Ability to climb a utility pole using climbers and safety equipment
- Ability to balance, stoop, crawl, kneel
- Frequently lift and push more than 50 pounds
- Occasionally lift and push 100 pounds
- Ability to work outside during all seasons
- Regularly exposed to risk of electrical shock
High school diploma required;
Two-year technical degree preferred;
One year related experience or training in telecommunications, electronics, or computer science preferred.
Valid New York State driver’s license;
Ability to work “on-call”; evenings, weekends and holidays if needed.